Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A BLOG ABOUT JOY

A BLOG ABOUT JOY                                             About Me:  Florence Griffin Butler

Hello and welcome to my blog.

The ostensible reason for me to start a blog is that I like to write.  I started writing at age seven when I discovered the joys of sending and rewards of receiving mail addressed to and from Miss Florence Griffin, P. O. Box 27, Clarkston, Utah. (Population: 600)  Seventy-five years later, I am still fascinated with what makes writing “nature’s chief masterpiece.” ***

I like to write, but I don’t need a blog to find an audience for emails, updates, and newsletters.  For that, I only need email addresses to be in touch with family and friends.  Their compliments and encouragement are like oxygen to my soul.

The real reason for doing a blog, is that I am Mormon ~ which is a short way of saying that I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.   I am showing up on the internet to share what it’s like to experience a religion that teaches, “Men are that they might have joy.” (2 Nephi 2:27 Book of Mormon) 

Doing a blog  provides a way to communicate with someone for whom I have no email address.  It is a way to put a note inside a bottle and toss it into the ocean of cyberspace, having faith that someone who is curious to know more will read it.

My goal is to post a series of essays talking about experiences of joy that have made an impact on me, the scriptures that give meaning to those experiences, and why I truly want to share what I have learned. 

I’ll be back with more.  I hope you will accept an invitation to be here with me.

         *** Of all the arts in which the wise excel,
                     Nature’s chief masterpiece is writing well.

                              –John Sheffield






 

2 comments:

  1. Great start! I really enjoyed your intro and the Sheffield quote. Looking forward to your future posts.

    ReplyDelete